On the ward of embarrassing ailments the women surprise themselves with bawdy humour – but they are practised in the art of swerving specifics. ‘Long story’ they say, all raised brows and gracious smiles.
Some have got things lodged where they shouldn’t, some have ignored shooting pains and malodorous discharges. One is a baffling medical anomaly – not that the doctors will admit it. Between them are drunken mishaps, complicated births and unsightly sores. Between them is a sense they’ll likely be okay.
When they wheel her in, bashed and bloodied, the jokes stop. The girl turns her back to the ward, trailing unwashed locks across her pillow. An eggshell stillness sets in.
That night the women dream huge drooping bouquets: blooms in impotent reds and useless blues that fug the ward with powerful notes of sweat and menses. Nearing the end of her shift, the exhausted nurse swings the windows a little wider.
When the women wake they are well-rested, their heads as clear as shoreline air. They wake with unguarded hearts and open eyes.
They wake ready for long stories.
Saturday, 26 June 2021
'What Happens on the Ward' by Lucy Goldring
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2026 FlashFlood: The Complete List
In case you missed any of the pieces we appeared during the 2026 FlashFlood, here's an index to everything. Sadly, the 'Blog Archiv...
-
Nobody understood this could be a thing, until they saw jumpers at a certain height, five hundred eleven feet, tumble upward. Unlike faller...
-
I’m not lover of art. I don’t know how to react to a splurge of colours on canvas. Or appreciate fine brush strokes on paper. And yet, this...
-
Every day I bathe in mud, lathering the slippery earth onto my arms. When the daffodils bloom, I immerse myself twice a day. I got the idea ...
No comments:
Post a Comment