Sunday 27 June 2021

Wandsworth Carers Series: 'A Life Changing Experience' by Avril

This piece is part of our 2021 Community Flash series, showcasing new writing by the Wandsworth Carers Centre Writers Group. You can read more about the background to this project in our introduction to this series, find out more about Wandsworth Carers Centre on their website, and find them on Twitter @CarerWandeworth.

 

A Life Changing Experience
by Avril


I can remember my life being unpacked from a brown cardboard box, unwrapped by noisy people, dusted, priced and put on a shop shelf where people manhandled me until I was bought and thought would be nurtured by someone who really wanted me.  Until, I was wrapped again and placed in a carrier bag. I felt unloved for a while, just a rigid frame with an uncompromising border and no-one dusting me. People forgot about me, put me in an insignificant corner waiting for the ‘right’ photograph. However realising I can be dismantled with care and a favourite photograph put in place, I become flexible with different photographs inside me discovering different emotions and feelings. All of a sudden I’m alive, handled with love and displayed in an important place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Congratulations to our 2023 Best Small Fictions Nominees!

We are delighted to nominate the following 2023 FlashFlood stories to the Best Small Fictions Anthology: ' I Once Swallowed a Rollercoas...