Saturday 16 June 2018

'How to entertain your grandkids' by Janelle Hardacre

‘We’re allowed, Granny?’

‘Yes, Fred. An arty day!’

They spread pudgy hands onto paints I’ve splodged on our wedding China. Freddy holds out a green palm, turns to check he won’t get scolded.

‘Go on. Grandpops’ll love it!’

He handprints tentatively before Alfie smooshes the colours so they mix against the silver, creating a sludgy mess.

‘Even the windows?’ Freddy asks.

Giddiness is infectious. Splats on their faces and clothes. I laugh, the first time since I caught my husband with her.

‘Beautiful, poppets!’

I laugh again as I imagine his face when he gets home to his beloved Jag.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Congratulations to our 2023 Best Small Fictions Nominees!

We are delighted to nominate the following 2023 FlashFlood stories to the Best Small Fictions Anthology: ' I Once Swallowed a Rollercoas...