Saturday 15 June 2024

'He Insisted on One Last Date' by Amethyst Loscocco

Always insisting, said I owed him that. He filled a room with hundreds of flowers. Vases, flush with roses and lilies and carnations, teetered on every surface, except the bed. We lay there, his head on my chest, hand on my hip. We’ll still be friends, I repeated, deaf to the hiss and crack of a crevasse forming. We wouldn’t be. Candles extended the flower’s claw-like shadows across the ceiling, reaching, grasping, smothering. Too-sweet scent shrouded bare limbs. I can hear your heartbeat, he said. What’s it saying, I asked. I don’t know, he said, it’s in braille. It’s blind.



Amethyst Loscocco writes both fiction and nonfiction. Her work has appeared or is upcoming in The Pinch, Catamaran Literary Reader, Hexagon Speculative Magazine, and elsewhere. She was a finalist for the 2024 Page Prize in Creative Nonfiction. She has an MA in Science Writing from Johns Hopkins University. She grew up on a farm near Truth or Consequences, New Mexico, and now lives in Oakland, California. Find her online at http://amethystloscocco.com and @‌amethystwrites on social media.



No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 Wigleaf Longlisting

Huge congratulations to Lisa Alletson whose 2024 FlashFlood piece, ' Translucent ' made the Wigleaf Top 50 longlist! You can read th...