Saturday 15 June 2024

'Dolerite' by Sue Pearson

Dolerite; a subvolcanic rock, with average hardness of around 6-7 on the Mohs scale; individual hardness depends on the porosity of its particular mineral composition



My brother stabs at the back cover. Finger punching the grassy topped black rock which towers out of a rough sea.

There, he says.

Where’s that?

Toraigh Island.

Donegal?


Yes, he squints at me, maybe assessing my IQ.

I pick up the book. His hand twitches almost snatching it.

‘The Geology of North West Ireland.’ He’s the author.

Oh! One of yours! Are you back into your geology?

Yes,
his voice is a tight impatience. I’m being too slow.

The point is…

He takes the book from me.

The point is… You see this rock?
His fingers sweep it like disturbed gulls protective of their cliff side nests. Dolerite, metamorphosed. When I did my PhD... I didn’t know…how… those… things…stick.

His eyes stretch inward reaching for words, they don’t mask his desperation quickly enough.

So, new research means you consider dolerite differently?

His smile is quick.

Exactly. Composition.

He is exultant.

He does know what he’s talking about, or, at least, sounds like he does. Relief feels like walking from shadow to warm sun.

So, we’ll pitch a tent. You and me. Put it there, he stabs again on the edge of the cliff. You can lower me over. I have the ropes.

Is that safe?

Metamorphosed dolerite. Solid. Won’t crumble.

That sounds great!
I’m too enthusiastic. Maybe not in November though! I laugh.

He does too. Delighted at the won concession he’ll forget in days or hours or minutes.

It’s four months since microfractures appeared on his surface. Since porosity made a softness in him.

Cup of tea? I offer.

Oh yes!

He’s glad he’s cleared something up. Tucks the book under his arm.

I’ll just put this upstairs, he says.

My brother, the professor, turns at the door, taps the book.  Rock solid, he says.



Sue Pearson is a flash fiction and short story dabbler from Newcastle via Belfast. Along the way, She has encountered children, animals, life’s ups, downs, and intriguing complexities. She mostly tries to turn up at the page and rarely turns down cake. You can hunt her publications online, and in anthologies, she has been delighted to be included in FFF for the last few years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 Wigleaf Longlisting

Huge congratulations to Lisa Alletson whose 2024 FlashFlood piece, ' Translucent ' made the Wigleaf Top 50 longlist! You can read th...