Saturday 15 June 2024

Debut Flash: 'Sad Sandwiches' by Joel Bryant

Seriously, I went to Catering College. Worked in restaurants too, some proper fancy ones. Not much need for such places anymore. Trust me though, you would not believe the food we used to cook. My mouth waters, remembering.

Not anymore. Now I make bad sandwiches for a living. In my defence, I can only work with what I'm given. Still, a job's a job, especially at my age. While I smear the margarine on to sad, white bread slices, I try not to think about the poor souls, I'm almost feeding. Best not to dwell on things like that.

Don't tell a soul this, but there is one thing I do that makes me feel a bit better. Call it the ghost of my old professional pride, but I started smuggling in extras to make the food better. A tiny slither of flavour. I realised early on that they search staff on the way out, but never on the way in. I mean, what's the point?

If I have it spare, I'll share. It has to be small and easy to stash, but I can manage a small jar of chutney, salt, pepper, various salad from my windowsill garden, stuff like that. Then it goes in the sandwiches, in the hope it will improve the meal, make it slightly appetising. Chances are, for most of them, it will be their final morsel. Too bleak to linger there.

I mean, it isn't a crime what I’m doing, is it? No-one is getting hurt. Well, not by me.

Last week one of the metal meal trays came back empty, except for a front tooth swimming in a red sauce of blood. I hope they managed to eat my sandwich first, I'd added some sweet, pickled beetroot and horseradish. Such a waste.

 


Dorset-based hospital worker. Avid reader and occasional fiction scribbler. Very happy to finally have a piece of his work published.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 Wigleaf Longlisting

Huge congratulations to Lisa Alletson whose 2024 FlashFlood piece, ' Translucent ' made the Wigleaf Top 50 longlist! You can read th...