She stands in a swirl of calf skin luggage in the doorway across from the dilapidated Ford Fiesta. There is an empty bird’s nest on the bonnet, possibly a Pigeon’s. Perhaps it’s bound together with some of the carpet fluff, maybe it’s entwined with wayward tendrils of her hair and her Father’s, with tiny pickings left over from a former life.
Maybe.
All that remains now is the small act of returning the keys through the letter box. But it is not small this time. Let me go they call from the hallway as she, outside, holds them suspended inside, and in the filtering moment between freeing them and the floor exploding, she is all regret. If she’s left a window open, she’ll crawl back in. Retrieve her keys and open the door to a home with her father still in it. This time she’d be there for him. Nurse and care and be there for him. This time she’ll open the door and make it better.
Instead, she turns away, cracks open the VW boot, feeds in her luggage until it overflows onto the back seat and still, she isn’t sated.
She takes the nest with its cosy fluff and its fragments of shell and settles it into the VW’s passenger well. Tucks it in as carefully as if it were still intact, still containing a living thing, precious, screened from the unknown, still protected from the world.
At the end, they told her, it had been peaceful. He had floated through the downy pillows and opened his mouth (pain free) to the unfollowed breath. And, just like that, he was gone.
But how can I know? Without being there, how can I know?
Saturday, 24 June 2023
Debut Flash: 'Emptied Nests' by Sue Dewey
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2026 FlashFlood: The Complete List
In case you missed any of the pieces we appeared during the 2026 FlashFlood, here's an index to everything. Sadly, the 'Blog Archiv...
-
Nobody understood this could be a thing, until they saw jumpers at a certain height, five hundred eleven feet, tumble upward. Unlike faller...
-
I’m not lover of art. I don’t know how to react to a splurge of colours on canvas. Or appreciate fine brush strokes on paper. And yet, this...
-
Every day I bathe in mud, lathering the slippery earth onto my arms. When the daffodils bloom, I immerse myself twice a day. I got the idea ...
So touching.
ReplyDeletePoignant and charming.
ReplyDeleteLove this, and such great phases – 'the filtering moment', 'the unfollowed breath'. Beautiful.
ReplyDelete