No one ever wants to make or answer phone calls, nowadays. There's too much anxiety, too much urgency in the act of speaking, thinking of the next thing to say on the spot, as opposed to typing a response with your thumbs at your own leisure.
Too much honesty in it, too. No time to lie. That was my problem. I enjoyed the time that texting afforded me.
Eric: I got an invite to a party next weekend, u wanna come?
Me: Naw I got stuff to do, sorry
Eric: lol like what ur a hermit
Me: My mom is in the hospital actually
Eric: oh shit I'm sorry. Tell her hi from me
Me: I will, thx
I think about that exchange a lot, wondering if I cursed myself, if things would be different if I had accepted the invitation.
I missed the call that my mother really was in the hospital until everyone in my family texted me at once that she’d passed away.
I'll be honest. I wish I'd never told Eric anything.
Saturday, 24 June 2023
Debut Flash: 'Honestly' by Nicole Winchester
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2026 FlashFlood: The Complete List
In case you missed any of the pieces we appeared during the 2026 FlashFlood, here's an index to everything. Sadly, the 'Blog Archiv...
-
Nobody understood this could be a thing, until they saw jumpers at a certain height, five hundred eleven feet, tumble upward. Unlike faller...
-
I’m not lover of art. I don’t know how to react to a splurge of colours on canvas. Or appreciate fine brush strokes on paper. And yet, this...
-
Every day I bathe in mud, lathering the slippery earth onto my arms. When the daffodils bloom, I immerse myself twice a day. I got the idea ...
No comments:
Post a Comment