Saturday 26 June 2021

'How I live now the demons have gone' by Sharon Telfer

When I was twelve, I took up with a poltergeist. We hurled chairs, slammed doors, smashed bottles to glitter, Catherine-wheeled to the ceiling. We chanted like harmonic toads. My parents called a priest who held me down with cold, carbolic hands.

Now I work in a tower of glass. The doors slide open without sound. I walk one inch above the ground in sensible heels. I recite long numbers with my heavy tongue. Occasionally, I bring home lovers. Over their shoulders, I watch the ceiling fan circle, round and round and round.

 

 ---

First published in NFFD NZ Flash Frontiers (June 2018).

No comments:

Post a Comment

FlashFlood is OPEN for submissions until 27 April 2024!

FlashFlood is OPEN for submissions from 12:01 a.m. BST on Sunday, 21 April to 23:59 BST on Saturday, 27 April 2024. You can read our submi...