Saturday 6 June 2020

'Boys Who Make Music Need to Go Far Away' by Annie Q. Syed

Acceptance.

“Our life is not really ever ours, after all.” Char only ever replied with those words.

“At some point, one of us must take the blame,” I said. I was the father; I wanted answers even now. My best years were behind me. Truth is concave when you get to the horizon of your life.


In The Beginning.

“He’s not a strange boy! I wish you wouldn’t say such things in front of him.” Char was angry.

She never spoke back to me and it took me by surprise. I knew he was my son but he never acted like my boy. Strings for guitar, sticks for drums. No balls and no bats.


One Day

I wanted to walk in on him with lipstick on or a dress, like I had heard it happens. How they turn. But he wasn’t there.

“Here,” Char said as she handed me the note he left behind.

We thought it was one of those teen notes—I hate, you, I hate my life, I am going away.

We thought he would return.


No comments:

Post a Comment

FlashFlood is OPEN for submissions until 27 April 2024!

FlashFlood is OPEN for submissions from 12:01 a.m. BST on Sunday, 21 April to 23:59 BST on Saturday, 27 April 2024. You can read our submi...