Saturday 6 June 2020

'Portrait of a Marriage as an Episode of House Hunters' by Abigail Oswald


At the open house my wife knuckles a beat into the walls. Didn't you ever want a hidden room? she asks. The realtor's lips disappear into a single line. My list says high ceilings! bay windows! but my wife always wants to explore the basement. Check the attic for ghosts, she calls from the stairs, I want a home with secrets. I climb the ladder, idly thumbing my ring. It's gotten looser lately, betraying the ashen skin beneath. I don't see anything, I shout. The realtor taps her foot. That's the point, says my wife. You have to feel it. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

FlashFlood is OPEN for submissions until 27 April 2024!

FlashFlood is OPEN for submissions from 12:01 a.m. BST on Sunday, 21 April to 23:59 BST on Saturday, 27 April 2024. You can read our submi...