Saturday 21 June 2014

'Matilda' by Miranda Kate

I had been at it for ages and managed the difficult bits, but my back was aching. I needed to take a break. I put what I’d done into some bags - careful to avoid any drips on the kitchen floor - and shoved them into the cold room. I made sure the door clicked shut afterwards. I wanted to keep them fresh.
I took my time washing my hands and getting all the blood off. I didn’t want anyone seeing any bits of flesh under my nails - because they would notice, they were like that in the day room. I put on the kettle and waited for it to boil.
Looking at what was left on the kitchen counter, it wouldn’t take much longer, but I needed a proper sit down, so I decided to take my cuppa into the day room.
Taking hot liquid in there could be risky depending who was about, but it turned out there was only Samson staring out of the window, and Adele in her chair by the telly rocking back and forth. It was safe. I took a seat in the front row and looked at the black and white movie they had on, and blew at my hot tea.
As I took a tentative sip I heard a scream from the direction of the kitchen. I couldn’t help smiling, I loved that sound. Then I heard footsteps running towards the day room. It was Nurse Clemens.
She came to a sharp halt at the door when she saw me. I smiled at her. She came in, taking calm, meaningful steps toward me until she stood in front of me. She barked “Hands!” as I knew she would when I’d cleaned up and I put my tea down to show them to her - but my smile was a dead give away.
Two orderlies arrived at the door, their shocked state indicating they’d come from the kitchen. Nurse Clemens gave them a brisk nod and they started towards me, grabbing me out of my chair and manhandling me out of the room.
Then she changed her mind and cried, “Wait!”, but the sirens were blaring so they couldn’t hear her. She grabbed the shoulder of one of them to make them stop, and stood in front of me again to force eye contact.
“Tell me Matilda, who is it? Who is it you’ve just killed?”
There was another scream, this time from the bedroom corridor. I giggled, I couldn’t help myself. I didn’t need to answer, they’d know in a minute.
The orderlies resumed their wrangling, as I tried to stifle more laughter.

4 comments:

  1. Fantastic! I love the way this is set up with such an ordinary context and then terrifying details just dropped in. It gives a series of delicious little shocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The glee is disturbing, but brilliant! Ditto Meg's comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it...I enjoyed writing it too - tee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. " heard a scream from the direction of the kitchen. I couldn’t help smiling, I loved that sound."

    Nice!

    ReplyDelete

Congratulations to our 2023 Best Small Fictions Nominees!

We are delighted to nominate the following 2023 FlashFlood stories to the Best Small Fictions Anthology: ' I Once Swallowed a Rollercoas...