Saturday 21 June 2014

'Sue' by Elaine Marie McKay

Sue Shampoo. Sue Hullaballoo. Sue Dancing Shoes. Sue Too. Sue Phew.
I park the perambulator and lift the rain shield: "Sue Chew! " she says.
Her round puffy cheeks are smudged with orange maize.
Irresistible.
I kiss her.
One.Two.
On each cheek and feel the sticky residue cling to me. I flick my tongue over my lips: "Mmmm!" I say before the flavour is replaced with a chemical aftertaste.
Presentable again with a wet wipe polish.
Children run over artificial turf. She joins them in the exercise area. I watch her struggle to keep up.
She is breathless. She is not a carbon copy. Replicated not duplicated. Expect some blurring.
But I love her, just the same.
Her hair not as yellow, her eyes not as blue. Sue Two.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Congratulations to our 2023 Best Small Fictions Nominees!

We are delighted to nominate the following 2023 FlashFlood stories to the Best Small Fictions Anthology: ' I Once Swallowed a Rollercoas...