I want to be the adulterer this time, slipping into secret hotels. I will wait for my lover clad only in the ermine coat my husband bought in apology.
When my lover comes, we will pretend this isn't what it is. Our conversation will meander through the thickets of our lives, searching for topics that don't remind us there are others waiting at home.
We'll slide between cool white sheets, my body melding with the curve of my lover's back, the dip of his stomach. He'll run his fingers over my skin, tracing the crooked scar across my abdomen. I'll pull his hand away and push it towards a deeper scar that I can't bear, one that I hide even from myself.
Later when my lover sleeps beside me, I'll watch his chest rise and fall with each easy breath. I will text my husband, train's running late, and then slip away before the sun sets.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2026 FlashFlood: The Complete List
In case you missed any of the pieces we appeared during the 2026 FlashFlood, here's an index to everything. Sadly, the 'Blog Archiv...
-
Nobody understood this could be a thing, until they saw jumpers at a certain height, five hundred eleven feet, tumble upward. Unlike faller...
-
I’m not lover of art. I don’t know how to react to a splurge of colours on canvas. Or appreciate fine brush strokes on paper. And yet, this...
-
Every day I bathe in mud, lathering the slippery earth onto my arms. When the daffodils bloom, I immerse myself twice a day. I got the idea ...
Great stuff - love the descriptions.
ReplyDelete