1) Sign up aged 18-25. Anytime between 28th July 1914 and 11th November 1918 will do.
2) Entrench yourself in dangerous back-breaking graft day after day, soldiering on in sulphurous gloom surrounded by barbed wire and unpredictable explosives.
3) Repeat for months/years until you’re dog-tired exhausted.
4) Never let up, especially at the eleventh-and-a-half hour of a twelve-hour shift.
5) Numb-finger fumble hair-triggered shells in biting cold whilst dreaming of sleep.
6) Let shockwaves rip you limbless so you’re already dead before body parts hit floor.
7) Make sure (and this is very important) that you’re female and a munitionette.
FlashFlood is OPEN and ready for your submissions! We will open for submissions from 00:01 BST on 2 May to 23:59 BST on 8 May. Over the nex...
We'd like to mark the end of 2020 with a little celebration of this year's FlashFlood writers. Congratulations to the following wri...
A shaft of sunlight fell across the worn herringbone floor, drawing his gaze upwards to the flawless blue sky beyond the row of windows, ...
The next FlashFlood will take place National Flash-Fiction Day 's 10th Anniversary, next mass-writing event taking place on 26 June 202...