Friday 19 April 2013

'The Comfort of Cold' by Jane Roberts


Imprinted in the snow, memories of ski-hopping birds of prey lead up to ruby crystalline evidence of a recent kill. Here, things live or die with a rapidity lacking in the human world, snow temporarily recording all interactions.
Standing still, snowflakes flurry onto me.
I could brush them away. I could.
There’s a hospital bed – waiting to be remade for some other Hopeless. The whiteboard on the bed frame wiped – the ghost of a name remaining. My name.
But the snow is better. Far cleaner – to don a shroud of void and then to melt into a new dimension.

1 comment:

Congratulations to our 2023 Best Small Fictions Nominees!

We are delighted to nominate the following 2023 FlashFlood stories to the Best Small Fictions Anthology: ' I Once Swallowed a Rollercoas...