Friday 19 April 2013

'Before The Memory Goes' by Perry McDaid

That dream!  Boy-oh-boy was it intriguing! Hey, it was a perfect original story. A few alterations, sure, but on the whole - spot on. Must write it down as soon as possible. Right . . .
First I have to be awake!
Uh-huh?
So . . . WAKE already!
But it's cold dark and unbelievingly uninviting out there in wake-world.
What? This could make me rich.
Hardly rich.
Well, logic does become warped in Noddyland - you know?
Noddyland?
Forget I said that - sleep-land then.
NODDYLAND?
Look, drop it . . . okay?
Hmmm, okay.
I still think it's a brilliant story - seriously.
All right then, if it will get me some peace . . . . Snore.
Here's the plan then.
Eh! Huh! Huzzat?
To record the dream, before the memory goes.
Ah yes, quite so . . . What dream?
You've forgotten!
Well . .
You have forgotten. It starts blah, blah . .
Oh yes, got it now . . . er . . How does it go?
Blether, blah, blathety blah, and then the delicate twist at the end blah-boom!
Gads, how did I dream that up? It's wonderful!
Sure is! Well, the plan is as soon as the eyes open, hands grab pen and paper, then print like billy-oh!
Right on ol' bud and partner - where's the pen?
Just above you when you wake - very, very handy!
And the paper?
Beside it - the hardback book!
Oh, yeah.
Now we're going to have to be fast - before the memory fades, or goes! Okay, I'll just rest momentarily to build up the energy for the task.
Seems reasonable, as long as we're careful not to slip . . . back . .into...dreammmm...

2 comments:

  1. clever & well written dialogue...have you read Eyes of a Blue dog by Marquez?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had a look at it and read the first section in full before skimming the rest. It's a stream of consciousness piece. The format is not user-friendly (I've a headache now) :D I see the connection.

    I wish I'd been able to hold on to as much of the dream I'd really had. However, the notion to formulate a story from the actual forgetting amused me, so...

    It stayed in that hard-back book for 8 years and a house-move before I entered it into Acorns Competition in 1996 and was placed.

    This was the story of three that I least thought to be accepted.

    Thanks for commenting and the reference.

    ReplyDelete

Congratulations to our 2023 Best Small Fictions Nominees!

We are delighted to nominate the following 2023 FlashFlood stories to the Best Small Fictions Anthology: ' I Once Swallowed a Rollercoas...