Saturday 24 June 2017

'Boxes' by GJ Hart

Two weeks ago, a man moved into the phone box at the end of my road. He could hardly walk. He slept in a ball beneath the receiver. I asked the special constable when she would be moving the poor soul on. She said *never* and that his name was Jeff. I didn’t mind, not really: it was heartening to see it being used for something other than drug dealing and taking a piss. Jeff looked awful, I doubted he was ever a millionaire or a famous actor - I think he just drifted. I felt terrible seeing him like that, shivering behind the glass and wish I'd told him how he'd inspired me to take a step back and examine aspects of my life I'd ignored for far too long. Incredible to think Jeff was once a child. He probably went on family holidays and spent many, merry Christmases at home. Later, I sat at the kitchen table, flipping through some old photos - me eating cake, me on a space hopper, me behind a drum kit wearing a bandana made from tinsel. I’d forgotten so much. Memories - those subtle fragments of time - they make us human. I needed to know more, so one morning, noticing the phone box empty, I went through Jeff's things. Tucked in a corner, in a greasy carrier bag, I found an engraved pendant, a doctor’s letter, a small felt puffin and a lock of hair bound with straw - nothing really. The next evening, I stopped to give him the change left from the ten bottles of Shiraz Cabernet I’d bought for our dinner party. He told me to fuck off - I think he was drunk: I noticed the empty cider bottle hidden beneath the Ikea box he used as a blanket . I sensed Jeff disliked me, the way he looked at me, like my boss looks at me, like he's paid by the hour to hate me. My boss lives in a gated hamlet in a large house with paired chimneys and a pitched roof. Every Sunday - irrespective of weather - me and the wife visit, (The hamlet, not my boss). We have a pub lunch and coo at the house prices in the estate agent's window. Sometimes clarity is a shocking thing: I realised I envied Jeff - no daily commute, no accountability. Monday morning he had his friends round. They were laughing and drinking next to my bus stop and rather than risk it I walked through the park and when I was late the boss called me in - final warning he said. I wanted to tell Jeff, give him the opportunity to apologise, but the next day, just like that, he was gone. I asked the special constable where but she didn’t know and wasn’t confident. I needed to help, so I went straight home and donated to a homeless charity online. I am Jeff! I proclaimed aloud. After all, we all get left outside eventually.

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful work -- the universal fatigue of the middle class. Enjoyed this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A tale of our times. Great last line.

    ReplyDelete

Congratulations to our 2023 Best Small Fictions Nominees!

We are delighted to nominate the following 2023 FlashFlood stories to the Best Small Fictions Anthology: ' I Once Swallowed a Rollercoas...