Saturday 25 June 2016

Mother Knows Best by Santino Prinzi


“Why are you living above a Chinese restaurant, Kyle?”
            “I like the smell, Mum.”
            “I’m breathing saturated fats. I can feel them line my lungs.”

“You never listen to what I tell you, Kyle. You won’t meet a wife without a decent sized house to raise grandchildren in.”
            “I don’t want a big house, children, or a wife.”
            “I can’t look after you forever.”
            “I can look after myself.”
            “If you say so…”

“You could be so much more than a cleaner.”
            “I enjoy the job.”
            “I’m not sure you do – I’m not dumb, and neither are you.”
“Can’t you stop with the nagging? Can’t you leave me alone?”
“You’ll miss me when I’m gone.”
            “Try me.”

She was dead right, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Congratulations to our 2023 Best Small Fictions Nominees!

We are delighted to nominate the following 2023 FlashFlood stories to the Best Small Fictions Anthology: ' I Once Swallowed a Rollercoas...