1) Sign up aged 18-25. Anytime between 28th July 1914 and 11th November 1918 will do.
2) Entrench yourself in dangerous back-breaking graft day after day, soldiering on in sulphurous gloom surrounded by barbed wire and unpredictable explosives.
3) Repeat for months/years until you’re dog-tired exhausted.
4) Never let up, especially at the eleventh-and-a-half hour of a twelve-hour shift.
5) Numb-finger fumble hair-triggered shells in biting cold whilst dreaming of sleep.
6) Let shockwaves rip you limbless so you’re already dead before body parts hit floor.
7) Make sure (and this is very important) that you’re female and a munitionette.
This piece is part of our Green Stories series, showcasing the winners of Green Stories ' first flash fiction competition in which wri...
I knew a man who owned 150 items. One hundred of them were books. He was extremely specific about this number. Two plates, two bowls, one po...
'How to Sacrifice Your Life in the line of Duty and Still Go Uncommemorated on War Memorials' by Jan Kaneen1) Sign up aged 18-25. Anytime between 28th July 1914 and 11th November 1918 will do. 2) Entrench yourself in dangerous back-breaking graft ...
She sat on her sofa and listened patiently right up to the point when her Dad asked her to come home. She ended the call. To go home would b...