Saturday 25 June 2016

Today by Oscar Windsor-Smith

It's today.
His car stands in the unlit layby, wipers battling torrential rain.
It's soon.
He counts the seconds on the dashboard clock, a cheap mobile in his clammy fist.
Now.
He shivers.
No remorse.
The faithless bitch deserved it.
Set to his home number, the dial tone echoes.
He smirks anticipating silence.
But she answers, sweet as syrup: Hello, darling.
He kills the call.
Confused.
Headlights blind him.
The mobile rings, a male voice:
Change of terms, pal. She's worth better.
A silhouette.
Advancing.
The bullet enters like a Tarantino movie viewed in slo-mo
Shattered glass and rain are wafting in
Life gushing out
There's no tomorrow
For him

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Gay. I do indeed have a way to go ( ;) ), but I think I know what you mean :) Thank you and apologies for my delayed response, events have been unusually distracting here in the UK just lately, to say the least.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you, Hillary, you're very kind. I would employ a *blush* emoji here but I don't have one to hand. ;)
      Oscar

      Delete

Congratulations to our 2023 Best Small Fictions Nominees!

We are delighted to nominate the following 2023 FlashFlood stories to the Best Small Fictions Anthology: ' I Once Swallowed a Rollercoas...