JUNGLE CHAT by Michael Kirby

‘I feel I’ve transcended my apehood,’ chimp one said.
      ‘Bananas!’ said chimp two.
      ‘My grandmother knew Tarzan,’ chimp three offered.

‘No – I’m here now seeing the future,’ chimp one declared. He then named himself Clarence and went off on one: ‘Here’s the thing: where does thought come from?
It appears to be autonomous – has a mind of its own. Where do Ifigure in this?’ Clarence thumped his chest.
      ‘I think I’ll make tea – make bread – make a shopping list – make arrangements etc.
Sounds straightforward enough but what about those thoughts that come uninvited? Sometimes they appear then fart around in one’s head like deflating balloons – collapsing in a crumpled heap on the carpet of our brains.
      But while that very thing is happening embryonic thoughts have matured and assail us from – where!?’ Chimp two plucked some nits from her scalp, gave them the eye then sucked them down with a showy bit of lip-smacking.
      Clarence gave her a disdainful look and continued. ‘Without doubt when thought is captured it can be transformed via our physical selves into the most wondrous creations – and indeed the most dangerous…’ Chimp two hurled a coconut at an approaching leopard.
      ‘The hands of thought,’ Clarence mused. ‘It is our hands/fingers that make thought tangible – we take it for granted of course, but what a thought!’
      ‘I could get into this,’ chimp three said, waggling her digits. ‘Yeah for sure – I just had an uninvited thought that the end is known before the beginning.’
      ‘So, you didn’t think it then?’ Clarence said knowingly.
      ‘No, it just arrived – like – like the wind.’
      ‘There you go. And did you feel separate from it?’ Clarence was eager now to have a kindred spirit.
      ‘Well, I don’t really know,’ chimp three sighed. ‘I seemed to become part of it – as we do when the wind howls through the trees.’
      Chimp two yawned.
      ‘Thing is, there’s a wonderful silence without thought,’ Clarence said, like he’d been there and got the badge. ‘And it is then that the profound question may be asked – Who am I?’
      ‘But aren’t you thinking that?’ chimp three quizzed.
      ‘Ssshhhh,’ Clarence whispered.
      ‘Bananas!’ chimp two cried.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Postcard by Kate Mahony

Breathing Space by Joanna Campbell

Mother Tongue by Alison Lock