Saturday 25 June 2016

'A Complete History of Me' by Nan Wigington

One smelled of Russia. One smelled of tobacco. Two kissed in Kansas. One had two boys, five girls. One lost his job, came home drunk. Two fought. All the way through The Great Depression. One boy became a preacher, one a soldier. Two held their wives – one in his arms, one over the Missouri. Three girls became maids. Two quit, married. One was raped, never married. And five nieces, four nephews later, I find out that it is her I'm named after. 

5 comments:

  1. What a summary! Great compression of family identity. Wish I'd written it! Love your writing, Nan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nan! Loved this piece! You are brilliant!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nan! Loved this piece! You are brilliant!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I. Love. This. It's a tiny story poem with a punch at the end. The repetition is wonderful. And I LOVE those first 3 lines! I agree with Anne - this is something I wish I'd written.

    ReplyDelete

Congratulations to our 2023 Best Small Fictions Nominees!

We are delighted to nominate the following 2023 FlashFlood stories to the Best Small Fictions Anthology: ' I Once Swallowed a Rollercoas...