The 10th of December is International Human Rights Day, marking the day that Universal Declaration of Human Rights was adopted by the United Nations General Assembly, and 2018 marks its seventieth anniversary. The Nobel Peace Prize is traditionally awarded on this day.
Write a piece inspired by one of the articles of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. (If your browser doesn't support the fancy version, Here is a plain-text copy of the UDHR; scroll down for the text version.)
For an extra challenge, you could commemorate the UDHR's 70th anniversary by...
- Making your story 70 words long...or, if you're up for a micro challenge, 70 characters
- Write a flash in which 70% of the words are in one language and the remaining 30% in another language or a mix of other languages
- Span 70 years within the space of your flash
*For more background on International Human Rights Day, have a look at the Resources provided by the United Nations.
Interested in doing something for National Flash Fiction Day? Support your writing community! If there are people, programs or publications doing great things in your local area or online neighbourhood, consider letting them know how much you value what they're doing, or perhaps even volunteering if you don't already. If they are flash-related, we'd love to hear about them!
Find out more about National Flash Fiction Day at our website or get in touch if you'd like to learn more about how you can get involved.