Saturday 25 June 2016

Heatwave by Allie Costa


There are no leopards here. If there were, I might be able to sleep.

I've always wanted a leopard, and I could certainly use a pet that doubles as a bodyguard. I'm not sure what she would be protecting me from, but still, who wouldn't sleep soundly with a leopard acting as a watchdog? (Watchcat?)
It is nine million degrees. Okay, more like 100 degrees (my Fahrenheit to your Celsius), but I'm pretty sure I'm delirious from heatstroke. How else can I explain the gorilla-faced stegosaurus-shaped things that are currently running across my television screen? I'm obviously having a strange dream brought on by this heatwave.

Except it's too hot to sleep.

It's 1:23 AM, and I'm still wide awake.

               1 - 2 - 3

                      Make a wish!

The sun and I share a secret. Only she knows that I watch her rise every morning, slowly streaking the sky with color and brightness.

I think, in some ways, I'm like the sun: predictable in my daily routine, something other people take for granted and don't really look at directly. That's okay, because I'd rather shine light on other people than on myself.

The sun set many hours ago, and it's still hot as an oven in here. I keep thinking of that apocalyptic episode of The Twilight Zone where the main character thinks it's burning hot, then - spoiler alert! - she wakes up and realizes she was dreaming, and it's actually freezing cold.

I don't know what I'll dream tonight, but I hope it takes place somewhere cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Congratulations to our 2023 Best Small Fictions Nominees!

We are delighted to nominate the following 2023 FlashFlood stories to the Best Small Fictions Anthology: ' I Once Swallowed a Rollercoas...