Saturday 27 June 2015

'Grizzly' by Angela Readman


Lovers want me to do something about the bear in my bedroom. Grizzly. It sleeps in the alcove where I wanted a bookshelf, a half purr, half growl rises and falls from its fur. It cannot be shifted. The landlord gave me a decent deal on the rent. 
   It never opens its eyes, but yawns, rolls out the purple velvet of its tongue, and show me incisors the colour of a conch. The lace curtains waft on its breath, a warm fan. If I sit close enough I don't have to put the radiators on. I close my eyes sometimes sitting on the floor. I can smell salmon colouring shallow rivers gun metal and yellow, I can picture fish leaping out of the water, snatching rainbows on their backs for a heartbeat before they're sporked by a claw. 
   The bear sharpens my senses. His claws remind me of a fork I dug up in the garden. Hard, scarred, etched with dirt. Once, I painted his claws red, and wondered what name they'd give a nail varnish the same shade as my blood.
    I don’t think they are ever used. The claws. The bear never goes outside, not that I know of. Hunts. I didn't bring him here. He is just there. He has always been here, since I moved to the city, snoring between the wardrobe I didn’t choose and the radiator I can't bleed. Whenever I bring some guy back, I cover the bear with a throw that matches the bedspread. Let him sleep.


Angela Readman won the National Flash Fiction Day Competition. Her short story collection, Don't Try This at Home, won a Saboteur Award in 2015.

3 comments:

  1. I love the bear in the room. A bizarre image, but I kind of want to go and check my own bedroom now in case there's anything I overlooked. Beautiful writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely. Wistful and whimsical

    ReplyDelete

Congratulations to our 2023 Best Small Fictions Nominees!

We are delighted to nominate the following 2023 FlashFlood stories to the Best Small Fictions Anthology: ' I Once Swallowed a Rollercoas...