Saturday 18 June 2022

'Prairie Oysters Taste Better Deep Fried' by T.L. Tomljanovic

Castrating cattle is my specialty. I’m getting too old for it, but ranching’s all I know. The bank doesn’t care, delivering the past-due notice in person. Frank’s hollering “Bess!” from across the corral, but I ignore him. The banker and I are busy.
 
After we're done, I rest my hands on my thighs. I'm gonna need a wheelbarrow.
 
At supper, we eat without speaking. Frank dives into a plate of prairie oysters, my specialty. The trick is to deep fry ‘em so they don’t get tough. I pause mid-bite, savoring the chew. The banker’s are about as tender as they come.


First published at 101 Words, 13 May 2022.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome ending. Disturbing and unexpected, but fits with the anguish of the main character. Great "showing."

    ReplyDelete

FlashFlood is OPEN for submissions until 27 April 2024!

FlashFlood is OPEN for submissions from 12:01 a.m. BST on Sunday, 21 April to 23:59 BST on Saturday, 27 April 2024. You can read our submi...