Saturday 15 June 2019

'Dare You' by Jennifer Riddalls

‘I dare you.’ 

‘We’re too old for that shit.’

‘That’s only cause I say it first,’ he said. 

I peered in. ‘No. It stinks.’

‘Nan told you about it. You’re the big sister.’

I glared at him. ‘I should be trying to cadge my way into a real pub right now... but Nan said once we found it, we’d know what to do.’

We turned back to the green door. 

‘You sure it’s the right one?’ He said. 

‘How many closed down pubs round here have a moth carved into a green door?’ I traced a finger over the winged beast, tapped it twice. My whole arm tingled. A warning. 

‘I’ll stay as look out...’ He said. 

 ‘Fine.’ 

The bottom panel of the door had been kicked out long ago, dark with rot and just big enough to fit through. 

‘It’s all balls anyway. Poor Nan raving at the end,’ I said as I crawled inside. The vinegary tang of urine stung the inside of my nose. It was hard to imagine Nan standing behind the bar in here, years ago. 

Just as I straightened up, Jay stuck his head in and yelled. ‘Oh shit! Chloe, look out...’ My whole body twitched like Mum when Da starts on her, but Jay was laughing. Bastard. I gave him the finger and went through the bar to the pool room at the back, just like Nan described. It stank of smoke and old charity shops. My hand trailed over the peeling velvety wallpaper until I felt the indent and pushed hard. A fingernail snapped off halfway down and a little bulb of blood ballooned in its place. I barely felt it. I heard Jay calling me, worlds away in the sunlight. ‘Chlo? What’s happening?’

I eased a metal vial out. I couldn’t believe Nan had actually hidden something. A giggle escaped me as blood slippery fingers uncorked it. Something small and black, like an insect made of smoke, flew straight into my gasping mouth. I retched and everything went black.

Da had his back to me, breathing heavy. He turned, looked through me, his eyes tinged a dirty yellow from drink and disappointment. Blood reached across the cracked lino floor of our kitchen and filled the room with the smell of old pennies. Mum was slumped against the back door not moving. Blood stains on the handle. 

‘Oh my God... Chloe.’ Jay’s voice. I opened my eyes, back at the pub, reached up and nearly pulled him over. Outside I gulped in the cool air, tried to hide the tremors rattling my hands as I broke a pool cue on the smooth worn doorstep. I handed Jay half.

‘Did it work? You feel stronger?’ 

‘Think so. We need to get back, for Mum.’

I looked at Jay’s trembling lower lip. ‘Dare you.’ I said softly, sadly. 

Jay bounced on his heels, deciding. He jutted out his chin, nodded. ‘Dare you too.’

No comments:

Post a Comment

Congratulations to our 2023 Best Small Fictions Nominees!

We are delighted to nominate the following 2023 FlashFlood stories to the Best Small Fictions Anthology: ' I Once Swallowed a Rollercoas...