Wednesday 16 May 2012

'The Rhythm of Life' by Deborah Rickard


Slow, slow, quick-quick, slow. It began with the rhythm of a quickstep but soon crashed to a crescendo of jungle drums, beating a warning while I held fast, immobilised, confined. A corpse in a coffin.
I could move my eyes though, and if I looked in the small, square glass above my head I could see my toes, oddly still existing in the outside world. I could even wriggle them as if there was nothing wrong. But incarcerated as I was, I couldn’t even chew my thumb-nail. I had to keep still. Dead still.
"Breathe in," a disembodied voice boomed from somewhere unseen. I pulled deep on disinfected air. "And hold … And breathe normally."
Breathe normally? For how long? How long before I could breathe in the unconscious way you do when you’re unconcerned about how many breaths you might have left to take?
Thump, thump. Thumpety-clunk, clunkety-clunk. A ricochet of quick-fire rattles. And silence.
"Thank you. We’ve finished with you now."
Finished with me?
The cold, hard platform on which I lay slid like a refrigerated morgue drawer from the MR scanner, while the scanner, quiet now, processed images. How much longer would be able to process anything?
"How long?" I managed to ask the radiographer.
Neat and spruce in white and blue she cast me a glance from accustomed eyes and used to tending patient after patient, patiently uttered her practiced words; "The radiologist will report your scan shortly and let your consultant know the results." My consultant said he’d phone as soon as he’d spoken with the radiologist. By the time I got home, he hoped.
Outside the hospital, rain pelted lead pellets on granite slabs. I dashed into the car, slammed the door and turned on the engine. Its steady hum wrapped around me, drowning the slappety-slap of rain on metal and the swish of wheels through water as I drove through the car infested city out onto country lanes and finally, into my village.

And here I sit, waiting for the intense metallic rant to stop.
At last I splash up my garden path bordered with rain-washed roses and honeysuckle. The key slips into the lock and the door swings in a seamless sweep of welcome. I close it softly behind me, lean back against it and sigh.
Suddenly the pulse of the phone pulls my nerves and I hurry to the kitchen holding my breath; my heart pounding a quick base rhythm as I pick up the receiver.
"Hello?" I say.
Rain on the tarred felt roof beats a tattoo – telling me I’m home and dry.

1 comment:

  1. This is lovely. It captures exactly what it's like to be in an MRI scanner. I like how it isn't revealed what the illness is and whether or not they are going to be OK. The use of onomatopoeia throughout is excellent.

    ReplyDelete

Congratulations to our 2023 Best Small Fictions Nominees!

We are delighted to nominate the following 2023 FlashFlood stories to the Best Small Fictions Anthology: ' I Once Swallowed a Rollercoas...